Tuesday, April 15, 2008

August Strindberg's A Dream Play

Whoa. After reading this through three times, I have no idea what is going on. The language is beautiful and stark though, so I definitely could walk away with something. I felt like Caryl Churchill did an amazing job updating it. The truths left me very depressed and now I am hesitant about getting married, for sure. The section that is discussing about a life of unhappiness struck me, especially when they said having a baby would be a good solution. The idiocy is striking, but it was like holding up a mirror to today's society. People get married and don't want to work on their relationship, because they are so stuck on being right all the time, so they come up with other solutions that allow them to be correct. Having a baby is one of them. There is nothing worse than a child having to grow up in a family where his/her parents do not have a functioning relationship. I feel like every person should read this play before signing a marriage license for its truths.

The woman's voice in this is hauntingly beautiful.

No comments: