Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sarah Kane's 4.48 Psychosis



This disturbed me. Greatly. It was all manageable, though, until Kirsten's recitation. Wow. I was so scared she was actually going to hang herself. What an amazing job she did. After seeing that, I was prompted to look up every bit of information on Sarah Kane that I could. I wanted to know what exactly led her to taking her own life. I wondered if her editors or publishers stopped for a minute after noting her brilliance and said "Hey Sarah, is everything okay?" I guess it would not have mattered either way, but I found the real tragedy here to not be the play itself, but the playwright. Along with that, I realized I would not be so intrigued by her if she had not taken her life, which is a scary epiphany to come to about oneself. To recognize that for yourself, you want happy endings, but for others, it is more interesting to witness a tragic end. Of course, that is approximately what the basis of this class is all about if I'm not mistaken, for all of us heinous tragedy-lovers to sit around and talk about what makes a good tragedy great, that is to say, more tragic.

No comments: